Arthur Dunn Airpark is located in Brevard County along the east-central coast of Florida. Specifically, the Airpark is situated in the City of Titusville, two miles northwest of the central business district.
Arthur Dunn Airpark is designated in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems as a basic utility airport. This designation indicates that the Airpark services single engine and small twin-engine aircraft that have approach speeds less than 91 knots and wingspans of less than 49 feet.
The Airpark is owned and operated by the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority, a special taxing district created by the cities of Titusville and Cocoa. This Authority was established in 1963 and is responsible for three airports in Brevard County: Merritt Island Airport; Arthur Dunn Airpark; and, Space Coast Regional Airport. In addition to creating the Authority, the 1963 legislation allowed the Authority to acquire, lease, construct, improve, maintain, and operate airports and other aviation facilities. The Authority consists of seven members: two members from District 1; two members from District 2; two members from District 4; and, one at large. All members are appointed to 3-year terms by the Brevard County Commission.
During 1924 and 1925, the newly created U.S. Airmail Service established light stations and emergency landing fields along its major routes. Their facilities were spaced approximately 20 miles apart in order to provide the airmail pilots with a nighttime navigational system. Although not every light station had an emergency landing field co-located with it, the light station located at latitude 28 degrees 37 minutes 20 seconds North and longitude 80 degrees 50 minutes 12 seconds West had a 40 acre lighted field located adjacent to the navigational light. These are the coordinates for the Arthur Dunn Airpark. This facility soon turned into part of the countrys first radio navigational systems.
Historical research indicates that the Arthur Dunn Airpark came into existence as a county airport in late 1927. Leases between the County and three local families indicate that these families leased a total of approximately 45 acres to the County to be used as an aircraft landing field in conjunction with the 40-acre emergency landing field already in use. These leases remained in effect until 1947, at which time these properties were sold in fee to the County. The County operated the Airpark primarily as a base for its mosquito control organizations until March of 1966.
During the initial term of the 45-acre lease, Arthur Dunn, a prominent Brevard County Commissioner, supported the acquisition of an additional 40-acre tract located north of the 40-care airmail emergency landing field. These two parcels, along with the 45-acre parcels purchased from the three local families, became Arthur Dunn Airpark as it exists today.
In December of 1939, the Arthur Dunn Airpark was leased to the U.S. Government for use as an auxiliary training field for navy pilots operating out of Sanford Airfield, and the Titusville-Cocoa Auxiliary Field, now known as Space Coast Regional Airport.
When the County originally acquired the Airpark, the property consisted of a two-runway layout. Both of these runways were grass and were aligned in east-west and northeast-southwest orientations.
In December of 1965, the Brevard County Flying Posse, Inc., a non-profit corporation whose membership consisted primarily of aircraft owners and pilots, entered into a ten-year lease with the Brevard Board of County Commissioners to use a portion of the Airpark primarily for aircraft hangars and tie-downs. Prior to this lease, most of the Flying Posse members had constructed hangars on the leased premises.
During the Flying Posses lease of the Airpark, Runway 15/33 was constructed. This runway was paved with a bituminous asphalt material, at a length of 3,000 feet and a width of 50 feet. At the same time, a parallel taxiway, connectors, the FBO ramp, and most other paved areas on the Airpark were also constructed at a cost of $3,000. This is the same system that exists today.
During their leasehold (1965-1975), the Flying Posse reportedly was the prime factor in keeping Arthur Dunn Airpark operational. Shortly after the Flying Posses lease, the County transferred ownership of Arthur Dunn to the Titusville-Cocoa Airport District. This transfer occurred on March 10, 1966.
On December 15, 1967, a three-party operations agreement was executed between the Titusville-Cocoa Airport District, the Brevard County Flying Posse, Inc., and Dunns Flying Service. The essence of this agreement was for Dunns Flying Service to be able to operate the Radio Aeronautical Advisory Service under the FCC license of the Flying Posse to provide aeronautical advisory to local pilots (UNICOM service). The term of this operations agreement was set at eight years, so as to expire at the same time that the Flying Posse land lease expired in 1975. Prior to and during the term of the Flying Posses lease, all of the wooden hangars that exist today, including "The Posse Shack", were constructed by Flying Posse members. Those structures became the property of the Airpark at the expiration of the Flying Posse lease.
On November 2, 1970, the United States Government executed a Deed of Release to the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority which transferred ownership of the Titusville-Cocoa Auxiliary Field from the Naval Air Station, Sanford, Florida to the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority.
The current FBO building was constructed in the early 1960s and was operated by Taylor Dunn, son of Arthur Dunn. In 1964, an additional 1,850 square yards of apron pavement was placed adjacent to the original apron to create the apron as it exits today. The current FBO operation is being conducted by Walkwitz Aviation, Inc.